Fermented Mixed Berry Syrup
This syrup is simple to make and keep on hand for topping any sort of dessert, or adding to cold water for a refreshing soda.
Note: Adding the maple syrup to the berry mixture before fermenting yields a more fizzy, less sweet syrup.
- 4 cups mixed berries
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 cup water kefir juice [water from kefir]
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- In a bowl mix together washed berries, kosher salt, kefir juice and sugar.
- Mash berries into a liquid sauce
- Place into a clean, quart-size jar.
- Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved, about 48-72 hours. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- After fermentation, stir in the maple syrup.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Add a comment